Auditing Pandemic Preparedness in the Public Sector
The threat of a new pandemic is ever-present and governments around the world should remain vigilant and well-prepared to respond to the next outbreak. Public sector auditors can play an important role in ensuring that governments remain vigilant by regularly auditing pandemic preparedness.
This article presents an overview of the work that performance auditors have done on this topic in the past and highlights some key considerations for future audits. Specifically, it provides some answers to the following key questions:
- What is pandemic preparedness?
- Why audit pandemic preparedness?
- Have performance auditors reported on pandemic preparedness before?
- Is there guidance available for auditing pandemic preparedness?
- Are there special considerations when auditing pandemic preparedness?